Saturday, May 2, 2009

That Guitar Man from Central Park

I haven't felt really alive for a few months now. So finally, today I had one of those classic "vagabonding Betty" feelings. Carefree, loving life, and in a happy go lucky mood because I experienced something great. What started out as a 25+ mile bike ride from Fort Lee, over the George Washington Bridge, down West Side highway (NYC Greenway), and over to Central Park brought me to David Ippolito, That Guitar Guy from Central Park. This guy is one of the reasons why New York City will always be one of the best cities in the world in my heart. David's been coming out to sing on The Hill by a lake in Central Park for the past 18 years. He plays on the weekends once the weather hits above 60.

sitting on my rock. view and my bike in front of me

view to my immediate left

love days like today (minus the allergies)


I couldn't think of a better way to spend sunny afternoons like today. As soon as I biked into Central Park I heard someone performing "Blowing in the Wind." Being a fan of live music, I rode over to check it out for what I thought would be a few minutes. I was surprised to find a good size crowd laying on a hill watching a guy putting on a simple acoustic show. Perfect. This screams Betty Chan. Love live music, acoustic guitar, sunny afternoons, and laying around to enjoy life. I scouted out the area and found the perfect spot to plant myself and my bike for the next two hours. I spotted the most awesome rock on the side, perfect for me to lean back and listen to David. He performed some covers and some originals. The crowd loved his James Taylor-esque voice. You can sense the happiness and relaxation in the air. I'll definitely be back to see David a bunch this summer.




...check out my youtube page for more videos of That Guy from Central Park.

1 comment:

  1. I love that song "Country Road"!!! Post more adventures on your blog please. I always look forward to reading them :)

    ReplyDelete